40 C
Kuwait City
May 24, 2019
Gulflance
Home » Trump says US not planning to send troops to fight Iran
Khaleejtimes International Technology

Trump says US not planning to send troops to fight Iran

The New York Times reported that Trump’s top national security aides met to discuss updated war plans with Iran.

US President Donald Trump dismissed a New York Times report about US top security officials reviewing a plan to send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter Iran.

“I think it’s fake news, okay? Now, would I do that? Absolutely. But we have not planned for that,” Xinhua quoted Trump as saying to reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

“Hopefully we’re not going to have to plan for that. And if we did that, we’d send a hell of a lot more troops than that,” he added.

The New York Times reported on Monday that acting Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan had presented an updated military plan to the Trump administration’s senior security officials which envisions sending up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons.

The updated plan, which does not call for a land invasion of Iran, was ordered by hardliners led by National Security Adviser John Bolton, reported the paper, citing anonymous sources.

Over the recent weeks, Washington has ratcheted up pressure against Teheran with a series of sanctions, designations and military threats, following Washington’s year-long campaign against Iran after US exit from the landmark Iran nuclear deal in May last year.

In response, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced on Wednesday Tehran’s withdrawal from complying with the restrictions of the Iran nuclear deal on the country’s enriched uranium reserves and heavy water supplies.

MORE FROM International

  • Americas


    The New York Times reported that Trump’s top national security aides… READ MORE

  • India


    The Indian embassy in the UAE had also urged its citizens in the UAE… READ MORE

  • Americas


    Vescovo found undiscovered species as he visited places no human had… READ MORE

  • Americas


    US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that the United… READ MORE

MORE FROM Khaleej Times

  • Abu Dhabi


    Saini was accompanied by his 26-year-old son Heera Lal, who is now at … READ MORE

  • Americas


    The New York Times reported that Trump’s top national security aides… READ MORE

  • India


    The Indian embassy in the UAE had also urged its citizens in the UAE… READ MORE

  • Technology


    The spyware was allegedly developed by a cyber intelligence company… READ MORE


Source link
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes

Related posts

US pulls staff from Iraq, says Iran gave ‘blessing’ for tanker attacks

KT Mobile

Philippines may reimpose ban on sending workers to Kuwait

KT Mobile

US refused visas to three senior officials: Pakistan minister

KT Mobile

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Please spend a minute

Gulflance Poll

Which is worst social media?
Vote Now
close-link
Sign-up for exclusive content. Be up to date with Gulflance
Subscribe
Subscribe
close-image

You're currently offline