The woman suffers a severe nut allergy and her throat could swell up even if she smells a nut.
An Australian couple’s holiday was ruined as they were escorted off a Qantas plane just before takeoff, after they reported in-flight meal contained food allergens.
Anthony Burns and Courtney Ward had been planning their south-east Asia holiday since two years and spent $6,500 on their trip. Ward suffers a severe nut allergy and her throat could swell up even if she smells a nut.
So, the couple did a thorough research how to avoid Ward’s multiple food allergies and booked Qantas as the airline has a policy stating they are aware about challenges peanut allergy sufferers and try to minimise their exposure.
The couple, from Melbourne, also rigorously followed up with Qantas about their in-flight menu before flying for their vacation.
However, ten minutes into the trip before take off, Ward discovered a chicken cashew satay dish on the menu. The couple verified with the staff who confirmed the dish had peanuts in it and were advised to get off the plane by Qantas medical staff. “I went into a complete panic when we saw the menu, after we left I was just sobbing,” Daily Mail quoted Ward as saying in The Herald Sun.
Although the couple eventually got their money from their travel insurer, their trip was ruined as they never took off for Singapore from where they had planned to take a cruise to Hong Kong. They had packed in their own pots and pans as they planned to cook their own food. “We usually take cruises because they are safer, you can stay in your room and order your own meal,” Ward said.
Qantas has since confirmed the dish did not contain peanuts. A spokesman for the airline said: ‘Qantas is aware of the challenges faced by allergy sufferers and take steps to reduce the risk for many of our customers particularly exposure to peanuts but as there are a wide variety of allergies it’s not possible to cater to everyone’s requirements’.
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes