He is supposed to be in quarantine following his return from China.
A Chinese national, who was ordered home detention following his return from China, sparked coronavirus scare in Melbourne after he escaped to turn up in court over drink-drive charges. (Coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates)
Qungli Wen, 24, of Balwyn North, managed to get back into Australia after spending time in China and was charged with drink-driving and fleeing the accident scene. Wen was ordered into home detention but he ventured out to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
Wen was asked to stay away from the court proceedings fearing he could spread coronavirus if he is infected, reported Daily Mail.
His lawyer, George Balot, said, “I didn’t want him in court. I didn’t even shake his hand,’ adding he asked his client be excused from the courtroom.
The lawyer told magistrate John Bentley that the client had been ordered to remain in home detention upon arriving back into Australia from an area ‘close to mainland China’. “I’m instructed he’s next door in a cafe. I hope it’s not a crowded one,” Bentley said.
More than 3,000 people have been tested for Covid-19 in Australia and 15 tested positive.
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes