18.5 C
Kuwait City
November 30, 2020
Gulflance
Home » Gunmen kill 32 at ceremony in Afghan capital – News
Khaleejtimes

Gunmen kill 32 at ceremony in Afghan capital – News

Source link


Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack.

Gunmen opened fire Friday at a ceremony in Afghanistan’s capital attended by prominent political leaders, killing at least 32 people and wounding dozens more before the two attackers were slain by police, officials said.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack. Afghanistan’s Daesh affiliate has declared war on the country’s minority. Many of those at the ceremony were commemorating the 1995 slaying of Abdul Ali Mazari, the leader of Afghanistan’s ethnic Hazaras.

The Taleban said they were not involved in the attack, which came less than a week after the US and the group signed an ambitious peace deal that lays out a path for the withdrawal of American forces from the country.

Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said 32 people were killed and 81 wounded in the attack in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighborhood of Kabul. The Health Ministry also reported 32 people were killed but said 58 were wounded.

Opposition leader Abdullah Abdullah, who is the country’s chief executive and was a top contender in last year’s presidential election, was among several prominent political officials who attended the ceremony but left before the attack and were unhurt.

Several TV journalists were covering the ceremony inside a walled compound when the gunmen began shooting, and a reporter and a cameraman for a local broadcaster were among the wounded.

Karim Khalili, the chief of Afghanistan’s high peace council, was delivering a speech when the gunfire interrupted him. He was not hurt and later went on TV to denounce the violence.

Several witnesses said that, amid the panic, members of the security forces guarding the event had fired on civilians in the crowd.

“Individuals with military uniforms who were there targeted people, there were casualties, dead and wounded,” said witness Ghulam Mohammad, according to Associated Press video.

Another survivor, Noor Mohammad, said: “Everyone was running. Three casualties were on the ground in front of me. I ran out of there to save my life.”

After opening fire, the two gunmen holed up in a half-finished apartment building, leading to a five-hour standoff with security forces. They were eventually killed and security forces were clearing the building, Rahimi said. The area was cordoned off by dozens of security forces.

All of the casualties were civilians, Rahimi said.





Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes

Related posts

Vijay Mallya loses UK High Court appeal in India extradition case – News

gulflance

Two military helicopters collide in Afghanistan, 9 soldiers killed – News

gulflance

Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for Covid-19, admitted to hospital – News

gulflance

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Please spend a minute

Gulflance Poll

Which is worst social media?
Vote Now
close-link

You're currently offline