The death toll on the Gaza Strip rose to 32 in three days.
A Gaza Strip ceasefire agreement has been agreed and came into effect at 5:30am (3:30 GMT) on Thursday, an Egyptian source and a senior Islamic Jihad official told AFP.
The “ceasefire agreement comes as a result of Egypt’s efforts” and has been endorsed by “Palestinian factions including Islamic Jihad”, said the top Egyptian official. An Islamic Jihad source confirmed the agreement to AFP.
Meanwhile, the death toll from Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip rose to 32 in three days after Palestinian officials said six members of the same family had been killed.
“Six members of the Abu Malhous family, including three children and two women, were killed in an Israeli strike on their family home in Deir al-Balah in the southern Gaza Strip,” the Palestinian ministry of health said.
The previous day, Israel said it targeted two Islamic Jihad militants preparing to fire anti-tank missiles.
In Gaza, residents surveyed damage and mourned the dead outside a mortuary and at funerals.
UN envoy Nickolay Mladenov arrived in Cairo on Wednesday afternoon, airport officials said, following reports he was to hold talks aimed at halting the fighting.
A total of 32 Palestinians had been killed by Thursday morning, including Ata and his wife as well as three children, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.
The UN and Egypt have been instrumental in mediating previous ceasefires between Israel and Gaza-based militants.
Schools in the blockaded Gaza Strip, an enclave of two million people, have been closed since Tuesday.
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes