Family sources said the boy contracted a bout of severe food poisoning after consuming pani puri.
An Indian student of the Delhi Private School (DPS) in Sharjah died in Mumbai on Wednesday, following a suspected case of food poisoning. The former head boy of DPS, Adith Venkat graduated from Grade 12 in March this year.
The school has published a condolence message on its website. Family sources said the boy contracted a bout of severe food poisoning after consuming pani puri, an Indian savoury snack, and sugarcane juice back home in India. The Sharjah-based youngster had scored 93 per cent in his grade 12 Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) exams, with 100 marks in Accountancy.
“He (Adith) had a scholarship to study at a university in the United States. He went to India to meet his grandparents before leaving to the US,” said a close friend. After consuming the snacks, he felt dizzy and began vomiting. “Soon after, he was hospitalised. His condition went from bad to worse very fast,” said the source.
Adith’s condition deteriorated, leading to multiple organ failure. After he slipped into a coma, he was put on life support. Sources also said he was admitted to the Leelavathi Hospital in Mumbai, where he battled for his life for nearly 15 days. A request for blood donation for Adith was made on various blood donation groups in India.
The news of his demise was announced at the school and a moment of silence was observed in his honour. Adith was the school’s head boy for the academic year 2018-19. An academically-inclined student, Adith actively participated in debates, elocution competitions and was also a delegate at the Model United Nations held in Geneva, Switzerland, at the UN World Intellectual Property Organisation in 2018. Adith is survived by a younger sister and parents.