30.2 C
Kuwait City
October 28, 2020
Gulflance
Home » Armenia and Azerbaijan agree to ceasefire: Russian FM Lavrov – News
Khaleejtimes

Armenia and Azerbaijan agree to ceasefire: Russian FM Lavrov – News

Source link


The renewed fighting in the decades-old conflict has raised fears of a wider war drawing in Turkey.

Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed to a ceasefire starting on Saturday to exchange prisoners and bodies of those killed in the conflict between Azeri and ethnic Armenian forces over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.

The talks were the first diplomatic contact between the enemies since fighting over the breakaway enclave erupted on Sept. 27, killing hundreds of people. The ceasefire begins at 12pm.

Lavrov, who mediated the negotiations in Moscow, announced the ceasefire at 3 am(midnight GMT) after 10 hours of talks with his Armenian and Azeri counterparts. He also said Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed to start talks on the settlement of the conflict.

Russia’s top diplomat added that International Red Cross Committee would act as an intermediary in the humanitarian operation.

He did not provide details on the talks but said the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s (OSCE) Minsk Group would mediate.

Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and his Azeri counterpart Jeyhun Bayramov did not speak to reporters.

The mountain enclave belongs to Azerbaijan under international law but broke away in a war as the Soviet Union collapsed and is populated and governed by ethnic Armenians.

The renewed fighting in the decades-old conflict has raised fears of a wider war drawing in Turkey, a close ally of Azerbaijan, and Russia, which has a defence pact with Armenia.

The clashes have also increased concern about the security of pipelines that carry Azeri oil and gas to Europe.

The fighting is the worst since a 1991-94 war that killed about 30,000 people and ended with a ceasefire that has been violated repeatedly.

Azerbaijan said on Friday that 31 Azeri civilians had been killed and 168 wounded since September 27. It has not disclosed information about military casualties.

Nagorno-Karabakh said 376 of its military personnel and 22 civilians had been killed since the beginning of the conflict





Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes

Related posts

Coronavirus news bulletin from UAE: 388 new recoveries reported; Dubai is now 100% open; travel only after getting permits in Abu Dhabi – News

gulflance

Dubai’s Emirates refunds Dh5 billion to customers – News

gulflance

UK appoints new US diplomat before big year for trade talks – News

gulflance

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Please spend a minute

Gulflance Poll

Which is worst social media?
Vote Now
close-link

You're currently offline