Earlier, the Philippine Embassy had confirmed the death of two Filipinos.
A Sri Lankan expat had lost his life following a gas explosion at an Abu Dhabi residential building on Monday, the Sri Lankan Embassy confirmed on Thursday.
Earlier, the Philippine Embassy had confirmed the death of two Filipinos in the blast. So far, three residents had been reported to have died in the explosion on the Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Road in the city.
Officials of the Sri Lankan mission had received unconfirmed information that two of their nationals lost their lives. Upon visiting the hospital for verification, they were able to confirm that one Sri Lankan had passed away and the other is receiving treatment in the ICU.
“The Sri Lanka Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Foreign Ministry are in contact with the UAE law enforcement and hospital authorities to provide the necessary assistance,” the embassy said.
The incident was caused by a leaking gas pipe in a residential building, according to a statement of the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office.
“The incident was caused by a leaking gas pipe in a residential building on Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Road in Abu Dhabi. This mainly affected a restaurant in the building, as well as a neighbouring building. There was no other damage,” the media office had said.
Local authorities have urged residents to be careful in handling gas connections.
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes