Associate Director of Architecture
Reporting to: Director of Architecture
Supervisory Capacity: 15 – 25
To lead and inspire multiple teams to ensure that innovative and thought provoking projects achieve high quality design standards and are delivered on time and on budget; ensuring quality of design is prioritized throughout the projects stages. Requiring only minimal supervision from the Director, this role is responsible for supporting junior colleagues to achieve their full potential, and for collaborating with other Associate Directors to ensure that the portfolio of projects is effectively managed.
In addition to wider profession management support, this role also supports the delivery of corporate level business strategies and growth.
Roles and Responsibilities
• To support our client’s expanding portfolio of work across the Middle East, they are seeking an experienced Associate Director of Architecture to work on the design of major projects, based in their Kuwait studio.
• The opportunity will involve taking a leading role in the design and delivery of our client’s work across sectors and in all regions where they are active.
• The occupant will act as Project Director for a number of projects, whether the design is initiated in-house or in collaboration with an international concept architect, at all stages of the design process, ensuring projects meet our client’s high standards for quality design, coordination, technical documentation and specification.
• The successful candidate will provide input and support to our client’s numerous projects across the Middle East and assist the practice leadership in securing new opportunities and helping to develop a broad client base; they will act as an established expert, or demonstrate increasing specialization in a particular design and/or technical area.
• The successful candidate will report to the Director of Architecture for the day to day management of design projects, and will provide support and design mentoring to multiple projects under design. When appropriate, they will also be responsible for project management, design leadership & co-ordination of specific projects or project elements.
• In addition to project roles, they will be tasked to support profession management and leadership tasks, including resourcing, interviews, out-reach to schools of architecture, municipality approvals for projects, interface with practice BIM managers, and mentoring.
About the applicant (essential qualifications and experience)
• A qualified and registered architect with minimum of 15 years post qualification experience in an internally acclaimed architectural practice.
• Extensive industry experience of international working practices is required, preferred (although not essential) to have been gained in the Middle East.
• Hospitality sector experience at a leadership level with recognised international capability.
• Investment residential sector experience at a leadership level is also preferred.
The applicant’s experience will have included:
• Preparing concept designs for large-scale architectural design projects – across commercial, mixed use, retail, education, healthcare, hospitality, and/or urban design and master-planning sectors
• Delivering and managing complex projects and leading design teams
• Reporting directly to client teams
• Guiding and managing the work of multi-disciplinary teams including in-house and external concept design teams along with external sub-consultants
• Providing line management, training and mentoring of other staff
• Delivering and managing design quality reviews of projects at all stages of the design process.
Our client is looking for the applicant to:
• Develop positive relationships with clients, stakeholders and international collaborators
• Be comfortable working both as part of an in-house multi-disciplinary team, and in collaboration with external design consultants
• Be confident and enterprising, and have good organisation skills to manage project workloads
• Have a passion for design, sustainability and architectural place making
• Have strong IT skills across a wide range of architectural software packages which includes but are not limited to; AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office 365
• Have excellent spoken and written English language communication.
- Job Location
- Al Kuwait, Kuwait
- Company Industry
- Company Type
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role
- Employment Type
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Career Level
- Years of Experience
- Min: 15
- Austria; Belgium; Denmark; Finland; France; Germany; Great Britain (UK); Greece; Iceland; Ireland; Italy; Luxembourg; Netherlands; Norway; Portugal; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; United Kingdom; United States