There is a “pressing need” to continue promoting awareness about healthy practices related to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
Those aged between 20 and 40 years are the most affected in the recent surge in Covid-19 cases in the UAE, a top official has said. This is mainly due to the “wrong perception that their youth will protect them from being infected”, said Dr Farida Al Hosani, the official spokesperson for the UAE health sector.
Adhering to precautionary measures against Covid-19 a national responsibility, state news agency Wam quoted her as saying. Dr Farida said there is a “pressing need” to continue promoting awareness about healthy practices related to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
She attributed the increase in the number of cases during the last few days to some people’s “disregard for important preventive measures such as wearing face masks and social distancing”. She said they were part of social activities such as family gatherings and did not refrain from shaking hands.
On Friday, a top official had said that new penalties and violations may be introduced to stop the spread of Covid-19. Salem Al Zaabi, acting chief prosecutor of the Emergency, Crisis and Disasters Committee at the Public Prosecution, said that introduction of new violations would depend on the circumstances and how urgently they are needed.
Dr Omar Al Hammadi, official spokesperson for the UAE Government, had appealed to residents to abide by basic precautions including social distancing and wearing of face masks in public. “These steps have all proven efficient in stopping the spread of Covid-19 and we have indeed witnessed their efficiency.”
He pointed out that the achievements accomplished so far have been tough. “We hope to retain those achievements. We should all to comply with the safety rules – if we want the wheel of economy to keep going, our children to go back to schools, if we want to travel again and if we want the leisure centres to stay open.”
Click here to read more news from @khaleejtimes